Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why I Cut My Hair.

So for those of you who hadn't noticed yet, I cut all of my hair off. It was a recent decision, but a very thought out one. I'd like to put it on the record why I did what I did, because it wasn't just for a change. And maybe if you don't like how it looks you'll be ok with that after reading. Or not. I don't really care.

   Lately I've been thinking a lot about culture and identity, my culture and identity specifically. Not just as an American, but as Nevadan, as a Sanders woman, as me. Over the past few years I have seen myself changing my outside to fit what I think will be best received by others. I can remember a time in my life, during high school specifically, where I felt totally comfortable with who I was. I didn't answer to anyone, I didn't try to fit in, and I didn't try to be pretty. My close friends knew who I was and where I stood, and that was all I needed. Other people judged me immediately from my appearance, but to be honest, I kind of liked ruining their expectations of who I was. It was a time where I felt truly abandoned to the Lord, nothing and no one holding me back. I was so free.
   But slowly that changed, whether it was a boyfriend who preferred me to look a certain way, or other people that I knew would judge me by my looks. And then I came to Southern California! I didn't realize until this semester how much pressure there is to look a certain  way here. I remember being so comfortable in Nevada just wearing jeans and a t shirt every day, but here I constantly feel the pressure of making an appearance, and I finally had enough of it.
   I need to get back to who I am. I've found myself in the shoes of some girl that I don't really know, which is why I think I feel so uncomfortable with my looks sometimes. I am not this girl that keeps up appearances. I'm the girl who dyed polka dots in her hair, just 'cause. I'm the girl who hates expectations based on my looks or my gender. I'm not the girl who molds herself into those expectations. Cutting off my hair was a way of running away from that girl that I don't know. It's a way of rebelling against that pressure. It's a feeble attempt at freedom, with the hope that God will go the rest of the way in freeing me from the temptation to simply please other people.
   A lot of my friends tried to convince me not to cut off my hair again, but really that made me want to do it more, just to prove that I can without feeling like a disappointment. So, I'm kind of saying... "I'm a girl. I have short hair. Deal with it." My heart's desire is to not be concerned with anyone's opinion but the Lord's. I did this all on my own, not in response to anyone telling me this is how I'm supposed to be, and it felt really good. I want to be free again, and for me, this is a step in the right direction.
   So, there. If you don't think it looks good... big deal. Tell me. It's something I want to be ok with. I want to live life with arms open wide to the Lord and whatever He brings my way, instead of hoping and praying that I'm doing things right. I know it's a superficial thing... but I'm hoping that somehow the short-haired, relaxed, joyful Nevada girl inside me will come out in response to my outward change.
May it be so.


5 comments:

  1. Sarah Sanders.
    you inspire me.
    i am so thankful for you and your heart and your faith.
    thank you for standing for what you believe in and doing it.
    thanks for sharing this.
    you are truly beautiful.
    i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    I just want to say I love you :)

    Also I am one of the ones who wanted you to keep your hair long
    And I am sad you cut it.

    I am glad you did it to be rebellious and to be free, but I'm sad
    that you had to cut all your hair off in order to feel like you are truly free.
    I cut my hair off like this once, and did it becuz I needed a change, alot different
    reason than yourself. I wanted to know what it was like to have short hair,
    and didn't want to have short hair later in life, when it would. Be as likely
    to grow back. Anyways lol I really liked it, but I never got any weird comments
    or objections to not having the "stereotypical" girl length. I have to say I'm glad
    I did it and as I planned before I cut it, I will never do it again...I love my long hair :)

    As for you, I'm just feeling unsure about your reasoning. I'm a firm believer that there is nothing wrong with wanting to be beautiful or keeping your appearance nice. I feel like God would not have put so much detail into creation if He didn't love sharing off His beauty. Though your point it clear, beauty shouldn't be the main concern in someones life, I do agree with that. I am jut saddened for those who can't grow their hair out due to various reasons. I feel like not taking advantage of your length is somehow wrong.

    I'm not sure how his is coming across but I want you to know that I love you with long hair and I love you with short hair. But you dontneed to do something drastic to find out I do :) I'm mostly sad you couldn't be who you truely are with long hair...I hope you can figure out who you are without having to change any other outward appearances. Anyways I just wanted to hate this...if it doesn't really make sense then text me lol

    I love you...and Kim really did a great job!

    Love Violet...soon to be Rudd ;). Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Sarah--I just wanted to say thank you for this. The Sarah I know if the one from high school who didn't care what anyone thought of her and knew exactly who she was. I understand that feeling of not knowing who you are. I have to return to the definition that God has given me...when I don't, I don't even recognize the girl in the mirror.
    We all have to do our own thing. We are unique and do things in a unique way. You radiate the beauty and the love of God. You are beautiful on the outside, but it's way more than that. God has literally just poured His radiance out through you--no lie. ;)
    Thanks for being an inspiration.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan and Kaela: thank you! I love you both so much. You are incredibly encouraging :) and I miss you!!

    Violet: I think you're misunderstanding the point of what I did. The point was not to make myself "not beautiful" in order to be free, and I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but it certainly wasn't to win your approval. The act of cutting my hair didn't make me free, but was my way of putting action to a desire to be free. It was just the way I needed to express it. I have no problem with being beautiful, but when outward beauty defines us, the option is either to pray a lot and hope that it goes away, or to pray a lot and make a conscious step to show God that we are willing to give up what it is that defines us to be more free to worship Him. I know God takes joy in His beautiful creation, but the point for me was that I am beautiful regardless of my outward appearance, which I needed to demonstrate to myself. That's wonderful if you don't struggle with what I struggle with, but you don't have the same experience as I do. You wouldn't have handled this struggle the same way, but that's because you have a different relationship with God than I do and a different heart. It's ok you don't understand, but honestly, that wasn't the point. Thanks for sharing with me though. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also Violet, you thinking that not taking advantage of my long hair is "wrong" puts a lot more stock in having long hair (which it seems you equate with beauty?) than I have ever put in it. So that might be another point we are seeing differently. Just for clarification...

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!