Friday, May 20, 2011

Leveling with God


 
Lets face it. Sometimes we have to be honest— brutally honest. Like, punch-you-in-the-face, kick-you-in-the-shin, steal-your-wallet-and-throw-it-in-a-river kind of honest. It’s just necessary every now and then. Being nice is fantastic, but it’s overrated, and “nice” never saved anyone’s relationship. Actually, “nice” is probably the number one relationship killer. It’s different from “kind.” You can be kind and still be brutally honest with someone you love, but “nice” is never honest. “Nice” is a bit fat lie. “Nice” turns us into throw rugs, and then we end up resenting the object of our niceness: mom and dad, spouse, best friend, co-worker— as if it’s their fault we never leveled with them.
“Nice” is shallow. It keeps a relationship at the surface, a perpetual first impression. It’s not raw and upsetting and messy, like it should be. We all have raw, upsetting, messy qualities about us, and they’re just as worth sharing as our pretty parts, probably more-so. “Nice” makes us angry. It has it’s place sometimes, like with bosses or people who could kill us, but if one is forced to bring “nice” home after work, it’s a sure way to make them pissed off. It doesn’t let you shed your skin, doesn’t let you love or be loved, doesn’t allow freedom or utility or grace or forgiveness. “Nice” is a clever way to lie to everyone around you about who you really are and how you really feel. “Nice” kills passion, and it puts us in a state of slavery to everyone around us.
So why are we so nice to God?
If I’m being perfectly honest (that’s what this whole thing is about, right?), I’ve found myself resenting God many times before. I lied about it, of course. You’re not supposed to resent God, it’s a HUGE no-no. So I just kept my mouth shut and tried to work it out on my own, but that was the problem to begin with. I’d run into all these things I hated, that hurt me and made me angry and sick to my stomach. But I had stopped doing what the psalmists did and crying out to God, questioning Him, even yelling at Him. Yelling, not in anger at Him, but in desperation for Him, in anger at the lack of Him I saw. Instead of raging and allowing Him to hear me, I kept my mouth shut. And instead of making God like me any better, it only made me angrier. It was “nice,” and it was a lie.
I believe God loves us very thoroughly. I don’t think He only loves us in spite of who we are, but because of who we are, even if who we are is a big fat mess at the moment. We are not divine, and God is well aware of that. But when we try to force divinity in ourselves, we end up lying to God and to our own hearts. Some of the nicest people are the farthest from God, because they refuse to let go of their facade. They lie to their loved ones, they lie to themselves, and they lie to God in prayer.
It’s true that some of the nicer prayers are necessary: “Thank you” and “Thou art holy” and “Thou art good.” But in conjunction with recognizing God’s goodness in our prayers, we must also acknowledge the state of our own hearts. Sometimes it sounds semi-nice: “Forgive me” and “I love you.” Other times it might be something like “I’m so #@$%*!& angry!” “I’m lost.” “I’m addicted.” “I don’t understand” or “I don’t care.” If we are angry, we must invite God into our anger, as uncomfortable as that may sound. If we are helpless, we must invite God into our helplessness and allow the Creator’s strength to be perfected in our weakness. If we are bitter, we must invite Him into our bitterness, even if our bitterness is toward God Himself. Because no relationship is saved by “nice.” Relationships are destroyed by the failure to level with one another. Just as we trust our loved ones do not love us because they think we are perfect, we must have faith that God loves us for an entirely different set of reasons as well. Not because we are perfect, but because God is love.
I think many of us would find ourselves at the beginning of healing if we would all learn to level with God. Let us be a church of ragamuffins and misfits once again. Let us allow honest passion back into our lives, even at the expense of harmony and white picket fences, even at the risk of scandal. Let us not treat God like He can be fooled and not treat each other like strangers, but instead like family. Honesty is neglected in favor of happiness and harmony too often, in our churches, our families, and our personal lives. I’m trying to make that change in myself, and I pray we all make the same change, for the sake of ourselves and our relationships with God and others.
Sarah out.

1 comment:

I heart comments!